Background and Symptoms
Depression can present in a variety of different ways and can range from mild to severe. Different studies have found that 4-10% of people in England will experience depression in their lifetime and it is one of the most common mental health disorders in Britain. Globally, more than 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression according to World Health Organisation.
Common Symptoms Include
- A depressed / irritable mood or a loss of interest or pleasure in daily activities for more than two weeks
- A low mood, which is different or changed from that person's usual mood or 'baseline'
- A decrease in a ability to function in areas of day-to-day life such as: socially, at work and / or within education
- A change in sleep pattern - sleeping more or having trouble sleeping
- A loss of energy or motivation
- A change in appetite - possible weight loss or weight gain
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide
There is no single cause for depression; there are many different reasons and triggers that may be unique to an individual. Suggested causes include:
- Stressful life events (e.g. divorce, bereavement, moving house, etc.)
- Low self-esteem / being overly self-critical (even without realising it)
- Early life experiences
- Hormonal changes and / or physical changes (e.g. pregnancy & childbirth)
- Alcohol and drugs - including: misuse, dependency and / or self-medication
- Certain illnesses
Treatments for Depression with MHWS
The treatment offered will depend on the severity and potential causes or contributing factors of the depression. In the first appointment, our consultant psychiatrist will be able to provide a diagnosis.
For depression there are a range of treatment options available including:
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
- Evidence based psychological therapies:
How to Get an Assessment / Treatment with MHWS
Depending on the urgency, these treatments could be initiated through private prescription or through a GP.
For more information or to find out how to book an appointment then please contact us.