Anxiety & Panic
Background and Symptoms
It is normal to experience feeling anxious every now and then. Anxiety and panic becomes a disorder when it is interrupting your ability to lead, what would be generally considered a normal life.
Symptoms of worry and fear, anxiety and panic are very common with mixed anxiety and depression one of the most common psychological disorders in Britain.
Common Symptoms Include
- Panic, fear, uneasiness
- Sleep disturbance
- Cold, sweaty, numb, or tingly feeling in hands or feet
- Heart palpitations
- Tense muscles
Common Types of Anxiety Disorders
- Panic Disorder - this is marked by panic attacks - a feeling of overwhelming terror, which can present at any time
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder - excessive, irrational worry and tension with little or no cause
- Social Anxiety Disorder - an overwhelming worry and self-consciousness surrounding social situations
- Phobias - an intense fear of a specific object, place, situation, feeling or creature
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - obsessive thoughts / compulsive behaviours surrounding a specific object, task or situation
The causes of anxiety are wide and varied and often seem to result from a combination of factors. The following is a list of some of the things that may contribute to anxiety:
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Life experiences such as: bereavement, having a baby, moving house, suffering abuse, change of employment
- Learned behaviours
- Alcohol and / or drug use / misuse
Treatments for Anxiety & Panic with MHW
To begin treatment with MHW, an initial consultation will be undertaken to form a diagnosis. The diagnosis given will enable our specialists to suggest the treatment(s) available.
For anxiety, there are a range of treatment options available including:
For more information or to find out how to book an appointment then please contact us.